Friday, April 13, 2018

27A-Reading reflection 3

For this reflection I decided to do "Steve Jobs" by Walter Isaacson. I have always been interested in Steve Jobs as he has been a true innovator of technology and has changed technology forever. I was most surprised that Jobs was considered a Hippie. Also even though he was one of the original founders of Apple, he was forced out of Apple in 1985. I thought I had known this before but reading about the details of it was interesting. I admired Job's work ethic and his "genius" brain.  I am firm believer that this is what made Apple what it is today. Job's had the mind to think of the future and what would be innovative and cutting edge. Along with this, he had the work ethic to back it up and make it possible that these innovations and changes were put into action. I least admired Job's attitude towards some people. Job's was not polite to a lot of people and often cut a lot of bridges before they were made. Job's of course faced much adversity in his life. One of the biggest ones would be of course when he was fired and forced to leave Apple, but he then joined another company called NeXt, which would later then be bought by Apple and Job's would go onto becoming the CEO of Apple again. When it come's to competencies, Job's just seemed like he felt superior to everyone and was hard on rules that he set. He didn't bend the rules for anyone and if you went against what he said, he looked down upon you with almost disgust. If I could ask Job's two questions it would be how to he kept Apple so innovative and on the cutting edge of technology. Then I would ask him the hardest part of the initial start up process. Just because I am at that point with this start up idea for this class. I think like every great entrepreneur, Job's believed you need hard work to be successful. I am 100% confident Job's was the first one in the office and the last one out and worked harder than everybody in the room to be successful. I believe in this as well and I want to instill this work ethic early in  my working career to try and make sure I am successful.

3 comments:

  1. I would agree with your assessment about the relative importance of Steve Jobs and what he brought to the technology sphere. I enjoyed your question about how he would advise you starting the entrepreneurial process, as it connects to the process we are currently going through and many of those principles could be used with your businesses idea to create sustained success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One think I also learned about Jobs is that he would remind himself of his eminent death so that he made sure he was doing what he loved. I really liked that idea because it makes you think are you really waking up in the morning excited for your day? Of course some days will suck and thats ok, but the vast majority should be enjoyable and something you love. I take that point from him very strongly in my daily life. Anyways, great post and great book selection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve Jobs definitely had the skills and intelligence to be successful but it was his perseverance that made him extraordinarily successful. He also had to have confidence in his ideas and that following through with them would be worth it. Being forced out of Apple after the start must have been a huge obstacle for him to overcome but he stuck it out and made his way back to become the successful innovator and businessman that he was.

    ReplyDelete