Friday, April 20, 2018

30A-Final Reflection

I can honestly say this class was unlike any class I have taken in the past and was a really cool experience. Looking back at the past assignments, the only one that really stood out to me that I can say I dreaded was the elevator pitch and then when we had to interview people for the social capital assignment. The elevator pitch was just intimidating because it's always weird to hear yourself talk on a recording and then to have other people see it, I thought it would be weird. But after doing it three times and getting used to it, I felt way more comfortable and confident in front of the camera and kind of liked it towards the end. The other part that I somewhat thought I wasn't too sure of was when we had to go out and interview people for our social capital. It was just a unique experience to go out and talk to entrepreneurs in the community and get a different take on what it means to be in a start up and what it takes to run a start up. I am generally a very out going person but I just thought that assignment would be intimidating but overall in the end it was a cool experience. This was also what I'll remember for a while because I am originally from Gainesville and I didn't know that there were so many unique businesses here and I just really enjoyed talking to and getting to know these people and it will just stick out to me for a while. I think towards the end I started to develop and entrepreneurial mindset for the simple fact that now when I am out and about, I am constantly looking for new ideas or opportunities that I could turn into potential business ideas and that was different from when I first started this class. Plus I have a better understanding of starting a business and how to exploit opportunities and I think this has shaped my entrepreneurial mindset. For students that take this course in the future, I would say to just go into this class with an open mind and don't be afraid to go out of your comfort zone. You get what you put in with this class and you can get a lot out of it if you're willing to do something different and have an open mind with this class.

4 comments:

  1. I had many of the same feelings that you share within this post. I think this class was a unique challenge that changed my frame of mind regarding entrepreneurship as a profession and lead me to change my process with turning an objective into a given goal. I would agree when you say that you would recommend this class to those in the future, as I believe Dr. Pryor does a great job of creating perspective behind the topic and the assignments reinforce his teachings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im glad I wasn't the only one who thought the elevator pitch was weird at first. It's pretty awkward talking to yourself in front of the camera at first. It also taught me that something which may scare you at first actually becomes extremely easy with some practice. This class definitely taught me to come outside of my comfort zone so that I can grow. That is definitely what I took out of this class, and I agree with many of your points. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also said that I hated the elevator pitch. It is a great idea and a cool thing, but the format is weird. Filming on our phones and from weird angles was just uncomfortable. this class opened my mind to all the little details that have to go into an idea. You can't just have an idea and it comes a success, you have to do research, network, pitch it, get funding, and much more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also felt like my view of the world changed a little as I now see more opportunities in random things. The interviews were also a good experience, though challenging, they offered great insight. Your advice for incoming students to not be afraid to step outside of their comfort zone is important. Especially after the books we had to read, I believe the only way to be a successful entrepreneur is to step out of your comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete