Friday, February 2, 2018

7A-Testing the Hypothesis1

-University of Florida students can sometimes face a challenge of connecting with classmates in the same classes or have trouble with a problem or assignment and not have anyway to ask their classmates in a fast, social media type setting outside of say Facebook. With my opportunity, I want to create an App that connects students at UF to other students in the same classes as you are to help with anything from homework problems, to assignments, to linking with tutors, or creating study groups for classes.
-The Who: UF students wanting to connect with other students
-The What: Connecting students together in a social media type way
-The Why: Some students may learn better that way or helps students with certain assignments or classes.

After doing interviews with five people, I have found some interesting things about my potential opportunity. When interviewing Rachael and when asked about the why, she stated that she thinks most students wouldn't see this as a "need" but something as a way to better help them study or do better in their classes. Kyle stated that the who were the kids I stated in my hypothesis, but also kids who were more out going but maybe don't have a channel or way to reach out to other students for help. Another Kyle also stated, it would be good for students who are in smaller classes but with more advanced topics , instead of a chem class or stats, because there is already ways around that to help kids study. With this, I would need to try and find out how many students would actually be willing to try this idea. When asked about the what, Sean A. stated that he thought it was a good idea to do it more in a social media type way because that is what kids are so used to now a days and they would feel more comfortable using it, if it felt like a social media app. I still think this idea could work, I just need to flesh it out more and try to adapt to the problems or kinks that my interviewers are pointing out.

3 comments:

  1. I think that was the original intent of Facebook, to allow classmates to communicate in an informal manner about school, then it turned into that and much more. However, with the fast pace of semesters and people creating different acquaintances each semester you wouldn't add every classmate on Facebook, the nitch is there in my opinion. So far WhatsApp class group chats have worked well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Austin, I think this is a great idea. Honestly, if I were you, i would not even go after consumers with this idea. It would take it to school department heads or middle and high school districts and tell them you have a way to get their class more engaged with the material. Unfortunately though, your idea sounds a lot like Edmodo which I already had in highschool. It was a social media type website where students connected with their teachers. Fortunately for you, the site was boring and people hated using it. If you could figure out a way to get people interested in using your site, you have a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This idea would be good idea for UF to experiment with. Maybe connecting canvas to groupme somehow. I would use it for sure because I often don't go to office hours and sometimes don't know anyone else in my classes. I also think businesses could potentially use this to connect different departments. Often you have to follow a chain of command style management in businesses but this would allow for easier collaberation.

    ReplyDelete