Friday, February 23, 2018

13A-Reading Refection

To start off with, I knew a little about Elon Musk now a days but I did not know he did some much before his career with Tesla and SpaceX. I found it surprising that he started one software company, then went on and co-founded x.com which he would eventually become PayPal which was later acquired by eBay for a huge amount of 1.5 billion dollars. I admired his tenacity to never give up and his drive. As someone going into the tech field, I love technology and I admire some of the work that Elon is doing and attempting. He is never satisfied and always wants to be groundbreaking on something new. In the tech industry, tech is always changing and you should always being wanting to strive to learn all you can. From the authors perspective, he kind of makes Musk seem dark and cold sometimes and it seems like it would be stressful to work for him. As great of an innovator as he is and as smart as he is, you need to be able to be a CEO that people would wanna work and that would get a long with you. He defiantly saw failure, most the beginnings of his projects were failures and then after multiple tries, he would be successful. Then even in his personal life, you could consider his marriages were a failure as he had three different marriages. But with these failures, he never stopped and kept persevering and now he is one of the greatest CEO's in our world right now. As far as competencies go, like I said he just lacked that nurturing boss feel and seemed cold and dark sometimes to his workers, especially if there was a deadline approaching. I was confused personally on how solarcity part of the book where it talks about the startup he helped his cousin produce. If I could ask Musk 2 questions, one would be if you had any advice for a young adult going into a technical field, what would it be? And then was all the work you've done so far in your life worth the effect it has had on your private life? I think Musk would say hard work is anything that complexes your mind and makes you think outside of the box. He is always being an innovator and changing the way things are done, so I think anything that makes someone think hard and use their analytical skills is hard work. 

3 comments:

  1. Hey Austin, I also wrote about Elon Musk. Its interesting that we both notes his perseverance, as I also believe its one of his real core competencies as an Entrepreneur. As for being cold to work for, I find it is a common thread among high performing entrepreneurs. Think Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. Those two were definitely not easy to work for, but still were at the top of their field. I think its because when they are functioning at such a high level they get upset when asked about something which seems easy to them, but is most likely difficult for the rest of us. Elon is definitely changing the world and I agree is a great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Elon Musk's story really builds up the idea that hard work can also detract from who you are and your social life. Elon put so much into his work that it made him have to make sacrifices elsewhere. Also, his ability to be an innovator and technical genius while also having the leadership skill to be a CEO is impressive. Though, his work ethic is so high it seems it would be hard to work for him because of how demanding it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your assessment and how you are intrigued with the innovation Musk constantly presents through his formulation of new ideas and management skills. The point that you hit on that I agreed with the most would be your questioning of his constant ambition to continue to push the envelope with his ideas when he is at the status that he currently stands.

    ReplyDelete