Wednesday, March 21, 2018

19A- Idea Napkin 2

1) I am a third year student here at UF majoring in information systems and operations management. I love tech and the way it is revolutionizing our world, specifically in the business world. I also find it fascinating how much social media has shaped our world in such a short time frame. Everyone's phone is attached to their hip no matter where they go and I have always wanted to create an app that utilizes this market. I  just think it would be a cool idea to start and get some background in the technical aspect of the app for my potential career plans.

2) My product is a social media based app that connects students to their fellow classmates. This is an area where students can search for tutors, or post on a class way about homework assignments or problems they are having, or a way for students to form study groups while they are at the library.

3) I would be offering this to either students individually or potentially selling my products in schools that then would use them in their classrooms. This would be a great opportunity for teachers to use this product for their students to use and be able to connect with their classmates in an almost effortless way that so many people in our generation are used to. Most of my customers I feel would have this mindset that they want to get help, but they don't know how or are too afraid to ask for help either directly to the teacher or in person to other classmates. This app would take the stress out of this and potentially give kids a little more confidence to ask more questions or get help outside of the class room where they generally wouldn't before.

4) They should care because it would be an easy way for them to meet friends and at the same time have a chance to better in their classes. Most people tend to do better when learning material in two different ways. One would be the traditional route of the learning in the class room then while connecting outside of the class and learning and reinforcing what they learned in a different environment would be beneficial to them even more. 

5) I think I know my market very well and can pinpoint  the types of students or classrooms that I would want to pinpoint. This is a fun and unique way for people to get out their and potentially get better grades while at the same time potentially meeting new people and friends.

-I think most of the elements fit together however, the one that definitely lack the most is trying to get people to care about my product. Initially, I could see a huge challenge of trying to get people to try this idea, but once people would start to see results of higher grades in the classroom and then a potentially better social life outside as a side bonus, I think it would start to sell better. People are always hesitant to things they are unsure about, but after time has gone by and results start to show, I think the business would start to grow.
-Two main points I incorporated in this idea napkin from feedback was the idea of the new potential wider market of selling into classrooms. With teachers and universities having this product available in the classroom, it would make it more accessible for students and there for would potentially be used by more students. The idea was trying to focus more on why students would want to care. With this, if my idea started to show results, students would care because then it would mean their grades would improve in a new, fun way. 

5 comments:

  1. I would be really interested in seeing the kinds of friendships people make from using your app. Would it be more serious academic friendships or would people actually create real relationships with others? Also, I am interested in how you would get people to start using the app itself. Most apps have trouble creating habits in people to use the app or site continuously so that they get addicted to it. You should think how you are going to gain the attention and keep the attention of students. I dont know if its something that will keep people engaged long term, but I am interested to find out if it could. Great idea and I look forward to seeing it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if you truly understand your market and can create connections within the groups that you target your idea will work on any level. However, maybe understanding how people interact on a macro level will help you get there easier. I enjoyed how you received the feedback and do agree with selling into classrooms, as that immediately gets you a wider audience and has guaranteed funds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Austin, this is a great idea napkin. This app would keep everyone connected past the classroom, this is cool. I picture it like a big group chat, this could become the new standard and on syllabus week everyone has to join in and perhaps even be required to participate or at least check in. It would also provide instant clarification to many question people have but are too afraid to ask out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you added the thing about schools. I never thought about how a dating app could be taken and made into a study app. This shows how ideas can change and evolve over time. Who knows, maybe you make it big working with Universities to develop this app instead of a dating up. Follow the money my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that getting people to initially buy in to this service will be the hardest part. I also think a wide market will be interesting. It may sell a higher percentage to a niche market but starting off broad definitely can't hurt. If students believe it is a fun way to learn and they see their grades improve then their will certainly be loyalty to this product.

    ReplyDelete