Friday, March 23, 2018

21A-Reading Reflection 2

For this reflection, I chose "The art of Social Media: Power Tips for Power Users". I first picked this one because I really love social media and it is such a huge part of our culture and generation now, I was very interested to read this book. I am also basing my idea for this class off of social media so that goes hand in hand with this book. The general theme of this book was how to use social media to better your business and also how to use your personal social media and to make sure you are not looking bad online. The book is filled with tips on how to treat social media and how to treat your social media like a business. This book helped enhance my experience in this class because we take social media for granted now a days and put everything online and this can come back and bite us if we are not careful. This book made me want to become more aware of what I do on social media to make sure I am not perceived in a bad way. This book also gave great tips on how to grow your business through the use of social media which is great in todays society because like I said, it is just apart of everyone's daily life.  In order to reach a broader market, you have to have a positive social media presence for brand awareness and then you can also use it as a selling tool. I would design an exercise for class to try and set up or have an experiment where you try to use social media and sell a certain product. Then define things like your market that you would sell to, or what type of stuff would you publish or what specific social media would you use. My biggest "aha" moment was when I made that the connection that you should treat your social media almost like a business and treat it seriously. Everyone can see what you are posting and what you post can be critical to you and how other perceive you. Then when you are on social media for a business, taking the right steps and planning for action is crucial, just like planning for success in a business requires planning and taking the right steps.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah I agree social media is huge. When I spoke to a real estate agent about my idea personally, he told me that social media presence is huge in the real-estate market. Everyone should have a personal brand that they can sell people on, regardless of how little followers you have. I learned its about consistency and good quality rather than constantly looking at the metrics. It is definitely important to have a good social media in todays economy. Its almost like a modern day resume for people to go see things about you. Any business should have a social media page and actively be posting content to gain customers attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your "aha" moment might be the most be the most powerful takeaway from this exercise, as understanding the relative power of social media and its ability to change the way people perceive a product or service is key to sustained success. If you can fully access the power of your social media, you can increase your customer base and retain sustained customer, of which both are smart business practices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not chose the social media book, but I have read parts before and your "aha" moment is something that I think about a lot. I have thought about it so much that it has led me to not use almost any social media besides to see what other people posted. Why do I look?, to do exactly what I don't want other people doing, seeing things that maybe they shouldn't have posted. You are a business and you have to sell yourself to your friends, family and strangers. So, when it comes time to market a business, we do it everyday, we just have to be able to adjust to the product we are selling at that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not read this particular book but it seems that the advice it offered is really helpful. It is important to have your professional life not be tarnished by personal social media. I like how you noticed the connection between a business and social life in terms of social media. If you make sure everything you post is thought through and risks weighed then you will be effective.

    ReplyDelete